A seven-year-old boy, said to be a member of the royal family of Saudi Arabia,
was electrocuted while playing in a baby swimming pool at a private resort in Kumarakom on Thursday evening.
The victim is Alabin Majeed Ibrahim, hailing from Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. The incident occurred around
6.30 pm at a resort at Ammankary in Kumarakom. The police however refused to divulge more details about
the incident. Meanwhile, the Saudi Consulate in Mumbai has reportedly intervened in the incident.
According to Kottayam DySP, Zachariah Mathews, the boy suddenly collapsed while swimming in the pool.
“We were informed the two boys were playing in the baby pool when Alabin collapsed.
Though he was rushed to a private hospital in Kottayam, his life could not be saved.
The cause of death can be ascertained only after conducting post-mortem examination,” he said.
According to the DySP, the family members informed another boy,
who was playing with Alabin said he felt an electric shock while swimming in the pool.
Zachariah said the police couldn’t confirm whether the victim belongs to the royal family of Saudi Arabia.
The family of two adults and five children arrived at Kumarakom to celebrate the vacation on Wednesday.
The body of the child has been kept at the morgue of a private hospital at Kalathilpady near Kottayam.