The Basilica of Our Lady of Ransom, Vallarpadam-Ernakulam is a famous centre of pilgrimage. People from all parts of Kerala and outside, irrespective of caste or creed go to the church to seek the blessings of Mary, the mother of Jesus, popularly known as “Vallarpadathamma”. This is an ancient Christian Church built in 1524. Portuguese merchants headed by Vasco da Gama enthroned this miraculous picture of Our lady of Ransom at the shrine. The church was dedicated to the Holy Spirit, which was the first of its kind in Asia. The beautiful church was however destroyed by a heavy flood in 1676. The church was re-established in 1676 and the famous picture of the Blessed Virgin Mary was erected by Portuguese who brought it from their native land. The picture is believed to have miraculous powers. The Portuguese built the first church on the site of the present church in 1524. It was destroyed in a flood in the late 17th century and a new church was built on the same spot in 1676. It was declared a special church by Pope Leo XIII in 1888 and in 1951 the Union Government declared it a major pilgrim centre. Built in 1524 by the Portuguese Missionaries, the Vallarpadam church is dedicated to the Holy Spirit.
|MALAYALAM||Weekdays: 6.00 am, 7.00 am, 5.30 pm|
|Sundays: 5.30 am, 7.00 am, 9.00 am, 5.30pm|
|ENGLISH||Saturday: 7.15 pm|
|TAMIL||Saturday: 5.30 pm|
|NOVENA AND HOLY MASS||6.00 am, 7.00 am, 11.00 am, 6.00 pm, 7.15 pm (English)|
|NOVENA||3.30 pm, 4.30 pm, 5.30 pm|
|PARISH PRIEST||Rev. Fr. Thomas Pulickal|
|ASST. PARISH PRIEST||Rev. Fr. Xavier Padayaramparambil|
|ASST. PARISH PRIEST||Rev. Fr. Martin David|
Pin – 682031
Contact : 0091-484-2355485
How to reach
Vallarpadam is situated next to Bolghatty Island on the west, and linked to the Ernakulam mainland via the new Goshree bridges. It is about 3.5 kilometers (2.2 mi) in length in the north-south direction and hosts a population of 10,000 people. Vallarpadam is about one kilometer (½ mile) away from the Ernakulam mainland.